Monday, August 4, 2008

I want to make the world a better place...blah blah blah

My husband called in the middle of the work day today. He NEVER calls me in the middle of the work day. I'm thinking something bad has happened to his car or his job. Nope. He had his review today out of the blue. He was promoted and got a raise. Most competant people do and is nothing new to all of us. Here's the kicker....his yearly increase was half my yearly income! It was a 25% raise!!! Now I am not telling you this to brag (otherwise I'd actually put up the numbers), I'm telling you this in disgust. I'm thrilled for him and hope this means a Disney trip next year and every year following. However I've spent half my summer taking courses, planning new science lessons for the district and trying to learning new math, phonics, computer and test taking programs to teach next year. Do I get a bonus? No. Do I get a promotion? No. I get a 2% raise after fighting for it and even fighting for my job. I enjoy teaching, but for a 25% raise I'd find a way to enjoy sitting in a cubical. Of course, one more raise like this one and I may not have to worry about working at all (I wish). Word of advice to all those who haven't settled on a career: find something you enjoy doing that will ALSO make you a ton of money. You can't live on "doing good for others".

Disney News: See above about Disney trips. Also saw the first preview for High School Musical 3. More importantly, I heard the music. Director Kenny Ortega has done it again! I think it will be a box office smash!

1 comment:

Chantalita said...

Wow - congrats to Rick!! Good for you guys. A raise like that has to be great for the job satisfaction factor.