Saturday, September 20, 2008

What's with the Disney obsession? I like to call it a passion!

I've had more than one person ask my where my passion for Disney came from. Until now I wasn't sure. I thought maybe from my Uncle's family who traveled to Disney constantly and told great stories. But I refocused the questions: Why am I an 8 year old in a 30 year old body? I really am. When an 8 year old is in the room, they are sooo much more interesting to talk to than most adults. Karen can verify this fact as Katie and I hit it off every time. Did something happen when I was 8? Many things happened. First my youngest sister was born when I was 8. My mom stayed home with her and my middle sister. I would cry and scream when I had to go the school. I came home 'sick' many days that year. I hated going to school, not because of school, but I think because I wanted to be home sharing time with mom just like my sisters. Mom had to work when I was little and I didn't get that one-on-one time. Now I don't blame my parents for any of this. It's just an observation. So I think I'm frozen at age 8 to make up for this time.

Also in the Mormon religion, you are baptised at 8 years old. This significance of this is that at 8 your are able to choose right from wrong and you're on the hook for all wrong decision. That's a lot of pressure on an 8 year old especially one who has two little sisters looking up to her. I am sure that neither of these thoughts occurred to me at the time they were happening. However I am glad they happened. Would I be a second grade teacher if they hadn't? Would I wear Crocs with Mickey mouse holes or had gotten married in Disney? A little childhood trauma isn't always bad!

Disney News: Walle will come out on DVD Nov 17th!

No comments: